Friday, July 10, 2009

On July 10th

Hey everyone,
I am officially past the midway point of my internship, and the job itself is not bad. I got to use a band saw yesterday to cut up the car parts that I am going to be testing, and I usually have plenty of time at the end of the day to surf the internet. I can't get over how cool the Olympia park is. I go there and relax by the lake nearly every weekend.

Getting the visa was a real hassle. I went to the municipal office with Ryan McKown, a fellow CDS intern at BMW. I don't know where I'd be without him. He always seems to know where he's going, while I aimlessly wander around. Anyway, there was a glitch in the computer system, so even after being there for four hours, I had to come back the next day to get the visa. It turned out okay though. I ended up getting a sizable discount. The normal visa fee is 50 Euros, and I only had to pay 15. At first, I thought they were just being nice, because I had struggled so much the day before, but I was told later that's not really the German way. So now I think they might have just messed up. Either way, I was happy to have that over with.

I have been reading a lot of novels over the past few weeks. Before coming here, I had not read a novel in about a year, and I've read maybe 5 here. If there is anything good to come out of the fact that my voltage converter messed up my laptop and my Ipod, that's it.

I have been studying Sheet Molding Compound, which is the material that the hatches of cars are made of. I have learned plenty, and I can see the experience being useful.

I've made a few friends among the others in my living complex, so that's good. I play soccer on Sundays. Even though I'm not very good, it's fun to go out there and make an effort. Last weekend there were a bunch of ten-year-olds playing, and we joined in their game. I was almost as good as the ten-year-olds.

One of these weekends, I will be going to a city called Wels, Austria. I think I'll probably do that on my last weekend here. I was an exchange student there when I was a junior in high school, and I'd like to visit my host family again.

I'm going to go to a guitar shop this weekend. Not to buy of course, but to try out every guitar there and then say, "hmm, I'm not sure which one I want, I'll have to come back later." I played about 3 hours a day during the first few weeks of this summer, so I've kind of been having a withdrawal effect.

Anyway, that's good for now. Expect another post in a week or two.

Ramsey

1 comment:

  1. I got a guitar off eBay for 32€, it came with nylons as well as a bag, strap, more strings, picks etc. It doesn't even sound that bad either! Just type in "Gitarre" and it'll show up if you're interested...

    It's cool to hear that you're playing soccer and frequenting the olympiapark. Hope you continue to have a great time in Munich!

    ReplyDelete